This book was not one of my favorites. It is a mystery that centers around four women: a reporter, a mother whose baby was abducted twenty+ years ago, a very broken young woman, and a selfish, love-starved older woman. The remains of a baby are found on a construction site and the four women’s lives intersect. My biggest complaints were that the characters are not likable and there were few happenings until the end. It was a book that made me want to quit it at page 10, at page 30, at page 50, etc… Unfortunately, I have a hard time quitting books.
The card I chose to make hints at the mystery and possibilities using the childhood card game of Concentration. I made a birthday card with flaps that a person could open and try to find the matching saying. The hardest part was figuring out the cuts for the openings. My brain still hurts!
This is a 5″x7″ card (to make more room for the flaps and sayings) so the Blackberry Bliss base measures 10″x7″ with a score at 5″. The DSP is a retired pattern because it was the only one I had that was 12″x12″. I cut it to 4-1/2″ x 6-1/2″. The same with the Lemon-Lime paper.
Using my paper trimmer, I cut the flaps. With the short side at the top of the trimmer and the far left side at 4″, I punctured and cut from 3/4″ to 1-3/4″ then 2-3/4″ to 3-3/4″ then 4-3/4″ to 5-3/4″. This means each flap will measure one inch long and 1-1/2 inches wide.
The next set of cuts is made at 2-1/2″. I used the same punctures and cuts as the first time. The next set of cuts is made at 2″ because there is 1/2″ between the two sets of flaps. The final set of cuts is made at 1/2″. I used some washi tape to hold down the card so it wouldn’t slide while I was puncturing and cutting.
I flipped the paper to the long side and started at 5-3/4″. Punctures and cuts were made from 1/2″ to 2″ and 2-1/2″ to 4″. Slide the paper to 3-3/4″ and finally 1-3/4″. I had to push out the cuts a little where they weren’t exactly perfect. Using a bone folder, I opened the flap and made a crisp fold. Then I bent a little corner and used the folder again.
I glued the DSP onto the Lemon-Lime cardstock. I stamped the saying AFTER I glued because I didn’t want to spend the time trying to line things up and then glue. I then attached the this piece to the Blackberry Bliss cardstock. The sayings I used were from a variety of stamp sets. Two of them are retired and the other is from Jars of Love. I just looked for sentiments that would fit in the 1″ wide by 1-1/2″ high boxes.
I am planning to ‘flap’ open another book and ‘concentrate’ on another card, so see you soon!
Don’t forget to check out the new catalog. It is absolutely beautiful and inspiring.
Shop now using Host code: HGSGKFCQ
If purchasing $150+ in merchandise DO NOT use host code.
Reap your own hostess benefits!